Gaëtan Verhoosel is a partner in the firm's London office. His practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation. Mr. Verhoosel has acted as counsel in numerous commercial and investment treaty arbitrations, both under the rules of the major arbitral institutions and ad hoc. Mr. Verhoosel's engagements have involved a variety of jurisdictions in Western and Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Asia, and a wide range of industries that includes most prominently oil & gas, energy, infrastructure and concessions, and telecommunications. He has also served as sole arbitrator in several commercial arbitrations. A native Dutch speaker, Mr. Verhoosel handles contentious work in English, Spanish, and French.
- Counsel for a US oil & gas independent in a multi-billion dollar ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State, in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty and a production sharing agreement.
- Counsel for a French oil & gas independent in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State, in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty and several production sharing agreements.
- Counsel for an Indian industrial conglomerate in LCIA and ad hoc arbitral proceedings under English and Indian law relating to alleged breaches of a shareholders and share purchase agreement.
- Counsel for a Brazilian utility in an ICC arbitration under Brazilian law relating to the construction of a combined cycle thermoelectric power plant.
- Counsel for a US oil & gas independent in an ad hoc arbitration against a Latin American State under a bilateral investment treaty and UNCITRAL rules relating to the denial of VAT refunds, and related proceedings in the English courts in defense of the US$ 75 million award in favour of the client.
- "Tribunales Arbitrales de Inversión y Tribunales Estatales: ¿Crónica de una liaison dangereuse?," Revista de la Corte Española de Arbitraje, Volumen XXIII (2008), Co-Author
- "Annulment and Enforcement Review of Treaty Awards: to ICSID or not ICSID?," ICCA Conference Book (2008), Author
- "Una Corte Internacional de Apelaciones: un mal necesario?," Arbitraje Internacional: Tensiones Actuales, Legis (2007), Author
- "Investment Treaty Arbitration in Latin America," Who's Who Legal - Commercial Arbitration (2007), Co-Author
- "Arbitrating over BIT Claims," National Law Journal (2003), Co-Author
- "The Use of Investor-State Arbitration Under Bilateral Investment Treaties To Seek Relief for Breaches of WTO Law," Journal of International Economy Law (2003), Author
- "National Treatment and WTO Dispute Settlement: Adjudicating the Boundaries of Regulatory Autonomy," (2002), Author
- "Foreign Direct Investment and Legal Constraints on Domestic Environmental Policies: Striking a ‘Reasonable' Balance between Stability and Change," Law and Policy in International Business (1998), Author